Flex Mod Faces Barriers at North

Nadia John, Reporter
March 5, 2014 • 150 views
Filed under News

On Feb. 19th,  2014, the teaching staffs of both North and South High School held separate votes to determine the future of flex-mod scheduling during the 2015-16 school year.North voted 53.35% against the transition to flexible scheduling model, while South had an positive response for the transition to flex-mod.

“That vote will directly impact the recommendation to the board of education,” North’s principal, Mr. Jason Bull said.

Mr. Bull cited four main reasons as to why the transition to flexible modular scheduling, which was originally planned for the 2014-15 school year, has been pushed back to a further time, if North will make the transition at all.

These include:

• making sure that the structures that will be used are readily available,

• creating the facilities needed for large classes

• implementation of the systems needed such as the standardized testing

• professional development of the teaching staff, students, and their families to be ready before flex-mod can begin.

Despite the possible setback in flex-mod scheduling, North may continue to experience changes in the 2014-15 school year.The implementation of homerooms and/or the elimination of bells are possibilities. In addition, in the fall of 2014 students at North will receive Chromebooks.

A new standardized testing plan will also be initiated. This plan will include the ACT, Aspire test, to occur twice a year for freshmen and once in the spring semester for sophomores. The WKCE will continue to be administered in the fall semester for sophomores, and school wide ACT testing for juniors,will begin.These changes could further prepare students for flex-mod as a future possibility.

Comments